Wednesday, October 10, 2007

What I would like to see the news do

I am completely sick of the media always talking about bills and resolutions without telling me which bill they are referring to. For instance, they might say something along the lines of "Congress is debating a bill whether or not to further extend the patriot act." But they never say exactly which bill they are referring to.

I have no idea why they don't do this. It isn't hard. Just say, "Congress is debating H.J.Res 144 which is a bill concerning whether or not to further extend the patriot act." See? That was easy, now I can just go to either senate.gov house.gov and check whether or not my state legislators are voting how I want them to vote. If they aren't I would write them an email telling them why they are wrong in my opinion and how this will affect whether or not I vote for them in the upcoming elections.

This is just an overall frustration I have with the media. They never link you to original sources. They will talk about a video floating around on the net, they will talk about a report released by the white house, they will talk about a bill or resolution going through the senate, but they will never directly give you or link you to the source. They simply talk about what is happening from their point of view and discuss it. Personally, in some major cases, I would rather just go over the source of the news myself, and come up with my own conclusions.

No comments: